Income-Based Repayment: How do I apply?
If you have a partial financial hardship, you may enroll in IBR for your eligible federal student loans.
You should enroll in IBR as soon as you think you are eligible.
- If you are entering repayment, you may select the Income-Based option on the repayment selection form. Your lender or servicer will confirm your eligibility and calculate your income-based monthly payment amount.
- If you are already in repayment, you may contact your lender or servicer and request to switch to the IBR plan. Your lender or servicer will confirm your eligibility and calculate your income-based monthly payment amount.
To utilize IBR while working toward Public Service Loan Forgiveness:
- Enroll in IBR as soon as you are eligible.
- Make 120 qualifying payments on eligible Federal Direct loans while working in qualifying employment.
- Apply for Public Service Loan Forgiveness after making those 120 qualifying payments.
Register for an informational webinar to learn more about IBR and how to utilize it while working toward Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
Follow us on Twitter
Follow @EJW_org on Twitter and use #studentdebthelp to learn the latest news about educational debt relief.