AmeriCorps JD provides law students with hands-on legal experience and an opportunity to make a difference in communities that need help the most.
SERVING AS AN AMERICORPS JD MEMBER
Regardless of the project start date, priority is given to applicants completing the required hours of service by August 31, 2018 in order to receive the Segal Education award.
Students often complete their term of service over the course of one semester, in either spring or summer. Please review the information below to ensure you meet program deadlines.
AMERICORPS JD PROGRAM
To participate in AmeriCorps JD:
- You must be a current law student
- You must not receive compensation for more than $4,400 in external funding for the same service
- You must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawful permanent resident (e.g. green card) and pass a criminal background check, including an FBI fingerprint check (though applicants are not disqualified for most criminal records).
AmeriCorps JD participants can receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $1,230 upon successful completion of the program. This award can be applied toward student loans or tuition, but please note that this award is not a cash stipend. AmeriCorps JD Members must adhere to strict guidelines regarding outside funding.
Host Organization Resources
If searching for a host organization, organizations working in 2017-2018 issue areas will provide applicants a starting place for potential host sites in their community. Equal Justice Works suggests looking at postings on PSJD or Idealist, or directly contacting the organization's offices to ask if they need help for the spring or summer.
There are two steps you must take before completing an application:
1. Review the eligibility requirements above in the AmeriCorps JD Application Guide to ensure you are eligible.
2. Secure a position with a qualifying organization.
- Equal Justice Works will not find a placement for you. For more information on organizations that are interested in hosting AmeriCorps JD Members click here.
- Confirm the name of your direct supervisor at the organization in order to complete the application.
Application Deadlines and Start Dates
Ready to apply?