Offer a fresh start to overcoming rural poverty in northern Michigan by founding a Street Outreach Court adapted to resolve common contributors to rural homelessness, such as bench warrants and fines.
Heather is the right person for the project because:
• She has a deep, personal connection to rural homelessness through her brother’s housing and mental health struggle
• After working with homeless adults in Washington, DC, she went to law school for the very purpose of becoming an effective homeless-rights advocate
• During law school, she obtained a master of public policy degree in housing and community development
• She has experience advocating for low-income clients and housing policy reform at the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid, and Legal Services of South Central Michigan
• She has laid groundwork for this project’s success by engaging in scores of conversations with fellow stakeholders