Melina Angelos Healey
Combat the devastating sex trafficking of Native American children in Northern Illinois using culturally-grounded holistic legal services and victim healing, and advocating for systems change.
Melina is the right person for the project because:
• She has been representing young clients, including many victims of sex trafficking, in delinquency, abuse and neglect, and educational rights proceedings for eight years
• Since 2011, she has partnered with the Fort Peck Assiniboine and Sioux Tribes to address sex trafficking and racial justice issues on their Reservation
In the first six months, Melina will:
• Partner with the American Indian Center to identify and serve victims and provide community trainings.
• Represent clients in the legal proceedings that young trafficking victims face, including delinquency, child welfare, records expungement, and educational rights and disability claims.
• Develop a policy agenda for systemic change.