Prevent escalating unlawful displacement of Oakland’s low-income tenants of color by providing direct legal services to tenants and bringing affirmative lawsuits against non-law-abiding landlords.
Micaela is the right person for the project because:
• She has demonstrated commitment to civil legal services and advocacy on behalf of indigent and underserved communities
• She has experience as a student attorney in the Housing Clinic at Harvard Legal Services Center
• She has passion for vindicating tenants’ rights and fighting displacement
In the first six months, Micaela will:
• Help staff weekly walk-in housing clinics throughout Oakland and neighboring immigrant communities
• Work with attorneys in Centro Legal’s Tenants Rights Program to fight unlawful evictions, ensure habitable living conditions, and respond to illegal landlord harassment.
• Partner with Centro Legal’s Litigation Project to identify potential plaintiffs for strategic affirmative litigation