Protect the rights of students of color by advocating for increased police accountability in NYC schools through litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
John is the right person for the project because:
• He came to law school committed to a career focused on criminal justice and policing reform, which stems from personal and professional experiences
• Over the past seven years in New York City, he worked on policing reform in a variety of capacities, including as a student organizer, policy researcher, and legal advocate
In the first six months, John will:
• Identify and build relationships with community organizations and draft grassroots and education campaign strategies
• Begin investigation for federal litigation by conducting interviews, reviewing publically available data, and identifying plaintiffs
• Host a series of community forums and roundtable discussions in each borough to begin developing community-led accountability models and input for legislation and rules