Maggie will provide community education, legal representation, and policy advocacy in order to challenge facets of Virginia’s criminal justice system that trap low-income Virginians in a downward spiral of debt and incarceration.
Maggie is the right person for the project because:
• She has spent the last seven years working on and studying issues related to the criminalization of poverty
• She has a demonstrated commitment to working with communities in order to eliminate the unfair burdens criminal courts impose upon them
In the first six months, Maggie will:
• Build relationships with defendants, impacted community members, and community leaders
• Develop curriculum and conduct regular know-your-rights clinics
• Represent individuals challenging the assessment and collection of court debt