Improve outcomes for battered women and their children by providing legal advocacy and by developing tools and trainings for CPS workers to better address cases involving domestic violence.
Katherine is the right person for the project because:
• She is passionate about advocating for women without a voice in society, specifically protecting women and children who have experienced domestic violence.
• She has prior experience working on domestic violence issues in Minnesota and is familiar with the community.
• She is dedicated to using her determination, creativity, and experience to come up with innovative solutions to systemic issues.
In the first six months, Katherine will:
• Build upon existing relationships with CPS workers and their supervisors in order to create tools that address the needs of both CPS workers and DV advocates.
• Develop a set of neutral tools for screening and assessment to be used by Child Protective Services.
• Provide at least two trainings to CPS workers on domestic violence issues.
• Work with pro bono attorneys to develop a case management process.