The overall goal of Operation Veteran’s Re-entry is to eradicate barriers to employment, housing, healthcare, and benefits to homeless and at-risk of being homeless veterans. Amanda’s project will focus on Veteran’s Administration compensation benefits and pension claims, as well as discharge upgrades. Amanda also works on claims pending before the Social Security Administration, expungements of criminal records, and other civil legal matters.
During Amanda’s Fellowship, Amanda:
- Assisted 219 veterans with civil legal matters
- Helped veterans receive over $500,000 in benefits and back pay from the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Had 2 successful discharge upgrades
- Had 2 successful expungements of criminal records
- Has appeared in 5 VA administrative hearings, as well several times in the Superior Court of California
- Appear in court or an administrative hearing at least 3 more times
- Submit 20 or more claims to the Veterans Administration, Discharge Review Board, or the court
- Continue to learn other areas of civil law
Tessa provided legal services and advise to low-income and homeless veterans who are faced with any civil legal issue.
The project assists veterans on civil legal issues, focusing on eradicating barriers to obtaining employment, finding and remaining in safe housing, and gaining access to quality healthcare and public benefits. These needs are addressed by providing assistance with VA compensation benefits claims as well as public benefits, seeking discharge upgrades, assisting with eviction defense and other housing issues, and assisting with expungements.
Ryan assisted low-income veterans and their families with free assistance with their civil legal issues. The project assists veterans with civil legal issues including housing, discharge upgrades, obtaining VA and other public benefits. The project facilitates housing stability and prevents homelessness. Access to benefits and discharge upgrades promotes economic stability and ensures veterans are properly recognized and compensated for their service.