The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice.
Equal Justice Works is a recognized leader in the public interest law movement. We provide a continuum of opportunity that begins with incoming law school students and extends into later careers in the profession. From advocating for law school programs that instill public service values among students, to creating summer and postgraduate public interest jobs, to addressing the staggering educational debt that blocks lawyers from going into public service, Equal Justice Works inspires and provides opportunities for the legal community to change lives, make careers, and deliver on the promise of justice for all.
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (EA) TO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ABOUT THE POSITION
Working closely with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and Board of Directors of this $12 million nonprofit organization, the EA works on high-level projects and strategic initiatives, while cultivating and sustaining important relationships with integral stakeholders, including major donors, program participants, and the legal community. The EA helps to guide and prioritize the Executive Director’s agenda, making sure he is briefed on programmatic efforts, ensuring he has time to meet with key stakeholders and staff, respond to email, return phone calls and prepare for meetings. The Executive Director conducts a significant amount of fundraising and as a result, his EA coordinates daily with the Fellowships & Advancement unit to assist in the implementation of donor relations work.
The position has significant administrative responsibilities. The EA manages the Executive Director’s calendar which includes frequent scheduling and rescheduling of meetings and makes all travel related arrangements. In addition, the EA processes check-requests and reconciles expense reports. The EA is also responsible for all of the Executive Director’s filing; the preparation of Board Books; and other materials. It is critical that anyone interested in this position be able to move quickly and efficiently back and forth between high-level work and administrative tasks.
Confidentiality is a critical and fundamental aspect to this position.
- Manage schedule, prioritize and coordinate meetings and travel arrangements for the Executive Director.
- Manage communications for the Executive Director; ensuring that correspondence, email and phone calls are handled professionally and appropriately.
- Monitor email sent and received by the Executive Director to ensure that tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Develop and manage Executive Director’s daily and long-term task lists.
- Handle confidential documents/ conversations with discretion and good judgment.
- Prepare briefing materials for the Executive Director in preparation for meetings and travel (including assisting with the drafting of development related presentation materials).
- Serve as a liaison to the Board of Directors; coordinates, attends and takes minutes at Board meetings.
- Collaborate with Fellowships & Advancement staff to draft emails, proof materials, and research prospective and current donors.
- Provide administrative support to the annual dinner, including assisting with the drafting of invitations and other annual dinner related materials.
- Coordinate and manage routine administrative duties for the Executive Director such as filing, monthly expense reimbursements, credit card reconciliations, check requests and timesheet submissions.
- Circulate materials to staff and key supporters at the request of the Executive Director.
- Support the Chief Operating Officer on special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years (5+) of Executive Assistant experience supporting a senior executive and/or a Board of Directors preferred.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities, and take initiative after being given general guidelines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Dynamics CRM database.
- Excellent calendar management and anticipation skills expected.
- Keen sense of judgment and discretion as well as an ability to be tactful and diplomatic.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary is commensurate with experience. Participation in our standard health insurance policy, dental insurance, flexible spending account plans, life and accidental death and disability insurance policies, 14 paid vacation days during the first year of employment, 10 days sick leave and two days of personal leave. Eligibility to participate in 403(b) retirement plan, and transportation fringe benefit program, as well as ability to apply for participation in our loan repayment assistance plan, which currently provides up to $200 per month to offset educational debt payments.
Please send a concise cover letter with your salary requirements; short writing sample; and a resume to Tinna Jackson, Operations Manager at email@example.com with the subject line "Executive Assistant Application." Applicants who do not provide a writing sample or provide salary requirements will not be screened. Applications can also be mailed to Tinna Jackson, 1730 M St. NW, Suite 1010, Washington, D.C. 20036. We hope to fill the position immediately. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. No phone calls please.
Equal Justice Works NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY:Equal Justice Works is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.