The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice.
Equal Justice Works is a recognized leader in the public interest law movement. We provide a continuum of opportunity that begins with incoming law school students and extends into later careers in the profession. From advocating for law school programs that instill public service values among students, to creating summer and postgraduate public interest jobs, to addressing the staggering educational debt that blocks lawyers from going into public service, Equal Justice Works inspires and provides opportunities for the legal community to change lives, make careers, and deliver on the promise of justice for all.
PROGRAM MANAGER -- AMERICORPS JD, FEDERAL PROGRAMS AND STRATEGIC INITIATIVES
The Federal Programs and Strategic Initiatives unit of Equal Justice Works seeks an experienced Program Manager with excellent program management skills to implement and monitor the AmeriCorps JD component of the AmeriCorps Veterans Legal Corps, Employment Opportunity Legal Corps, and Disaster Legal Corps. The Program Manager should have experience implementing high-volume, customer orientated initiatives that are well organized and compliant with government and/or relevant regulations. Highly qualified candidates will have experience in managing large-scale initiatives that get results, thinking creatively to resolve anticipated and unanticipated issues, tracking and managing projects with multiple moving parts, and developing effective and replicable systems. The Program Manager reports to the Senior Program Manager.
This is an excellent opportunity to grow as a program manager in a nimble, fast-paced, growing, well-funded and well-placed national organization, while ensuring that critical legal services are delivered to under-served communities.
- Coordinate a large AmeriCorps funded program focused on public interest law students. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Creating a system to respond to applicants at various stages of the application process to encourage them to finalize and complete their applications
- Implementing an AmeriCorps compliant background check process that begins at the point of student application through enrollment to check NSOPW, State, and FBI registries for criminal history
- Creating a follow-up and tracking process to identify missing information and gather missing documents from students needed for enrollment, program participation, or exit
- Develop various reports for management to share program progress
- Identify and flag programmatic issues; develop solutions and engage management as needed
- Update various forms, documents, and manuals for students and/or stakeholders
- Develop and implement interdepartmental outreach and student follow-up strategies to recruit students and sustain student membership in AmeriCorps JD
- Develop strategy to follow-up with Host Sites and AmeriCorps JD alumni to ensure participation for the upcoming year
- Implement and oversee AmeriCorps JD members enrollment and exit process and ensure compliance with AmeriCorps regulations
- Review relevant program documents including service agreement, work plan, performance reports for approval and report on key information to management
- Act as a team lead and provide leadership and guidance to program coordinators and interns to support the management of the AmeriCorps JD program
- Oversee and monitor the AmeriCorps JD mailbox for efficient and effective communication, making recommendations for process improvements
- Four to seven (4-7) years work experience, with at least three year program management or project management experience
- Demonstrated results managing a high-volume, customer-oriented initiative. Experience working with college and/or graduate students a plus.
- Exquisite attention to detail, ensuring completeness and accuracy of work products and projects
- Demonstrated experience in developing organizational systems, tools, and processes to improve product or program performance, including the documenting and integrating these systems into common practice
- Demonstrated track record of taking initiative, effective problem solving, and good judgment
- Highly proficient in Word, Excel and other data management software.
- High energy, personable, multi-tasker with excellent customer service skills
- Effective oral and written communication
- Bachelor's degree required. MPA, MBA, MSW, JD or other advanced degree a plus.
- Familiarity with public interest law, social services, civil legal aid, Equal Justice Works programs, veterans or disaster relief a plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary is commensurate with experience. Participation in our standard health insurance policy, dental insurance, flexible spending account plans, life and accidental death and disability insurance policies, 14 paid vacation days during the first year of employment, 10 days sick leave and two days of personal leave. Eligibility to participate in 403(b) retirement plan, and transportation fringe benefit program, as well as an ability to apply for participation in our loan repayment assistance plan, which currently provides up to $200 per month to offset educational debt payments.
Please send a concise cover letter with your salary requirements; short writing sample; and a resume to Tinna Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Program Manager – AmeriCorps JD” Application." Applicants who do not provide a writing sample or provide their salary requirements will not be screened. Applications can also be mailed to Tinna Jackson, 1730 M St. NW, Suite 1010, Washington, D.C. 20036. We hope to fill the position immediately. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. No phone calls please.
Back to top
Equal Justice Works is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.