Rural communities in the U.S. and its territories face a shortage of talented lawyers, with a large population of the country being forced to travel hundreds of miles to find legal assistance. Participate in Rural Summer Legal Corps (RSLC) and help address the access to justice crisis for people living in rural areas.
Each summer, Equal Justice Works partners with Legal Services Corporation (LSC) to support 30 dedicated law students who want to serve rural communities, as part of the Rural Summer Legal Corps. Student Fellows spend eight to ten weeks at LSC-funded civil legal aid organizations gaining hands-on experience by:
- providing direct legal services such as client and witness interviews, and legal research and writing
- engaging in community outreach and education including fact sheet distribution, strategic partnership development, and presentations
- building capacity at their host organization through resource development and training sessions
Student Fellows tackle a number of tough legal projects including responding to disaster-related legal issues; addressing affordable housing and evictions; and providing legal aid to victims of domestic violence.
Applications for Summer 2019 closed on February 11, 2019. Individual project descriptions can be downloaded below.
- Alaska Legal Services Corporation
- Appalachian Research and Defense Fund of KY, Inc.
- California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc.
- Colorado Legal Services
- DNA People’s Legal Services
- Iowa Legal Aid
- Kentucky Legal Aid (KLA)
- Legal Aid of Arkansas, Inc.
- Legal Aid of Nebraska
- Legal Aid of West Virginia
- Legal Aid of Wyoming
- Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc.
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon (Lincoln County Regional Office)
- Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati
- Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc.
- Legal Services of Greater Miami
- Legal Services of Northwest Minnesota
- Legal Services of the Hudson Valley
- Montana Legal Services Association
- Neighborhood Legal Services Association
- Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles County
- North Mississippi Rural Legal Services
- Ohio State Legal Services Association
- Pine Tree Legal Assistance
- Prairie State Legal Services
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services
- Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc. – Edinburg Office
- Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc. – Mercedes Office
- West Tennessee Legal Services
Providing legal services to underprivileged populations is some of the most important legal work one can do. I’m eager to be a part of it.
Ashle Bray /
2018 Rural Summer Legal Corps Student Fellow