/ Blog Post
Equal Justice Works invites eligible organizations based in Maryland to submit proposals to participate as Host Organizations in the 2022 Housing Justice Program.
The Equal Justice Works Housing Justice Program mobilizes lawyers and community organizers working collaboratively as Fellows to serve low-income individuals who are currently or at risk of experiencing housing instability and involuntary displacement, particularly due to eviction.
In 2022, Equal Justice Works is expanding the Housing Justice Program from Virginia to South Carolina and Maryland. Equal Justice Works seeks to allocate approximately 14 Fellows in Maryland: ten attorney Fellows and four community organizer Fellows hosted at legal services organizations and community-based organizations. Host Organizations will participate in the Housing Justice Program by hosting one or more Fellows; organizations may apply to host attorney Fellows, organizer Fellows, or a combination of both. These 14 Fellows will work cooperatively to:
- Provide direct legal assistance including advice, referrals, and full representation for tenants in eviction proceedings;
- Build collaborative partnerships with community organizations and provide referrals for wraparound services;
- Engage in outreach including know-your-rights presentations and workshops, legal clinics, and intake events around housing issues; and
- Identify patterns, organize tenants, engage in impact litigation to challenge structural issues, and educate key stakeholders around the causes and consequences of housing instability; and
- Where a right to counsel exists in eviction cases, identify on-the-ground implementation problems and coordinate with other legal services providers.
Fellows will serve for two years, beginning on or about August 1, 2022, with an end date no later than August 31, 2024.
The Housing Justice Program is funded by The JPB Foundation, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Abell Foundation, and Maryland Legal Services Corporation.
Please see links to the full Request for Proposals and accompanying appendices below. Proposals must be submitted by Wednesday, June 8, 2022, 11:59 p.m. ET via email to [email protected].
If you are interested in submitting a proposal, please complete this brief Intent to Apply Survey and specify how many Fellows (lawyers and/or organizers) you are interested in applying for by Friday, May 13, 2022.
Before applying, please review the following materials:
- Equal Justice Works Housing Justice Program RFP No. HJP-20A08
- Equal Justice Works Standard Grant Award Conditions for Non-Federal Grants
- Sample Fellow Position Description, Attorney Fellow
- Sample Fellow Position Description, Organizer Fellow
Templates & Forms
The following materials are required for submission:
- Applicant Information Form
- Proposal Narrative
- Budget Template
- Policy Certification
- Certification for Data Privacy
If you have any questions about the application process, please reach out to [email protected].